Monday, June 10, 2019
Monday, June 17, 2019
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
5801 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle 98105
Seattle Children’s, King County, USA Mental Health First Aid, and Chad’s Legacy are offering Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMHFA)
This 8-hour class is for adults who regularly interact with adolescents 12 to 18. Youth Mental Health First Aid will improve your knowledge of mental health and substance use problems, and will teach you how to connect youth with care when needed.
Students will gain skills on how to help an adolescent in crisis or who is experiencing a mental health challenge. Similar to traditional first aid and CPR, mental health first aid is help provided to a person developing a mental health problem or experiencing a crisis before they can get professional treatment or the crisis resolves.
In this class, students will learn about:
- Common mental health challenges for youth
- Adolescent development
- How to help young people in both crisis and non-crisis situations
- Risk factors and warning signs of mental illness and addiction
- Substance use
- Disorders in which psychosis may occur
- Disruptive behavior disorders
- Eating disorders
- Available treatment options
For more information on this national, evidence-based training, visit the Youth Mental Health First Aid website.
Cost: $20 (includes class materials and lunch)